Posted in Family

This is your chance to start off the New Year with a good deed…

The fire at my parent’s house 12/27/2016

As I wrote about a few days ago, 2 days after Christmas my parent’s house caught on fire. The fire was started in one of the bedrooms by an electric blanket and spread to the surrounding rooms. It took less 3 minutes from the time my dad woke up to fire on top of his feet to the fire being fully involved, but everyone made it out of the house safely. The fire department responded within 3 minutes but it took about an hour for them to get the fire under control. About half the house was gutted by fire and the rest suffered severe smoke and water damage. The house is currently uninhabitable. 
The house was built by my great great grandfather after he immigrated from Italy. Including myself, 5 generations have lived in that house. 

The house was insured, but with it being such an old house and with the damage being so significant the repairs and replacements of things that were lost is going to be very costly.

I have set up an online donation fund to help my parents be able to afford to rebuild the house right and make it a much safer place for them to live. No amount is too small to make a difference. If you can’t afford to donate right now, you can help by sharing the link to the donation fund or reblogging this post. Thank you.

https://www.youcaring.com/fredcarradojr-727036

Posted in Blogging, Family, Writing Challenges

My parent’s house caught on fire…

Tuesday night was a very scary night. One of my Facebook friends alerted me to the fact that there was a fire reported near my parents house. I live all the way across the country, so I frantically called whatever numbers I could to try reach my parents and eventually reached them at my grandparent’s house next door.

It was my parents house that was on fire. My dad had gone to bed with the electric blanket on and woke up a couple hours later to find the foot of the bed on fire. He spent the night in the hospital for smoke inhalation and minor burns from trying to knock down the flames, but everyone made it out.

The fire spread from the bedroom to the surrounding rooms, and the firefighters had to knock down internal walls to fight the fire. Most of the windows are busted out and there are holes in the roof from venting the smoke and flames. The part of the house near the bedroom has been destroyed by the fire, and the rest of the house has severe smoke and water damage.

The house is uninhabitable.

My parents and brother are staying with my grandparents next door for now. The house is insured, so they have already started talking with the insurance company. Once they hear back from the insurance adjuster the rebuilding process will begin.